Embark on a literary journey as we explore the captivating world of Colleen Hoover, a New York Times bestselling author known for her emotionally charged and engaging novels. In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide to Colleen Hoover books in order, including series like Slammed and Hopeless, as well as her standalone novels and novellas. Discover the unique charm of Hoover's writing style, her unforgettable characters, and the heart-wrenching stories that have captured the hearts of readers worldwide.
Note: this article contains affiliate links.
The Slammed Series
Slammed is Colleen Hoover's debut novel. It tells the story of 18-year-old Layken, who tries to hold her family together after the death of her father. She meets her new neighbor, 21-year-old Will, who shares her passion for poetry and brings hope back into her life. However, their relationship is tested when a shocking secret is revealed, forcing them apart and leaving them struggling to find a way back to each other.
- Layken is trying to hold her family together after the death of her father
- She meets Will, her new neighbor who shares her passion for poetry
- Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, giving Layken a renewed sense of hope
- Their relationship is tested when a shocking secret is revealed, leaving them struggling to find a way back to each other
Point of Retreat (2012)
Colleen Hoover's Point of Retreat is a bestselling novel that follows Layken and Will as they navigate their relationship after overcoming obstacles. However, the things that brought them together may also be what tears them apart. As they struggle to prove their love for each other, they discover things about themselves that may change their world and the lives of those around them. Point of Retreat is a poetic and entertaining continuation of the Slammed series.
- Follows Layken and Will as they navigate their relationship after overcoming obstacles
- Things that brought them together may also tear them apart
- They struggle to prove their love for each other
- Discover things about themselves that may change their world and the lives of those around them
- Praised by New York Times bestselling author Jamie McGuire.
This Girl (2013)
Colleen Hoover's This Girl offers a new perspective on the love story between Layken and Will from the Slammed series. Now married and feeling secure in their union, Layken wants to know everything about her husband's past, despite his reluctance to revisit painful memories. Will agrees to share his side of the story, revealing his most intimate thoughts and feelings, and retelling both the good and bad moments of their complicated relationship. This final installment of the Slammed series shows that their future together rests on how well they deal with the past.
- Offers a new perspective on the love story between Layken and Will from the Slammed series
- Layken wants to know everything about her husband's past
- Will shares his side of the story, revealing his most intimate thoughts and feelings
- Retells both the good and bad moments of their complicated relationship
- Shows that their future together rests on how well they deal with the past.
The Hopeless Series
The book tells the story of 17 year-old Sky Davis, a seventeen-year-old who meets Dean Holder and is immediately captivated by him. He has a reputation that rivals her own, and he invokes feelings in her that she has never experienced before. As they get closer, Sky realizes that Holder is not who he claims to be, and she must confront buried memories from her past. The book explores themes of truth, trust, and the power of human connection.
- Sky meets Dean Holder and is immediately captivated by him.
- Holder has a reputation that rivals her own and brings out new emotions in her.
- Sky struggles to keep Holder at a distance, but he insists on learning everything about her.
- Sky realizes that Holder is not who he claims to be and must confront her past.
- The book explores themes of truth, trust, and the power of human connection.
Losing Hope (2013)
Colleen Hoover's Losing Hope is a follow-up to the bestselling novel “Hopeless” and tells the story of Dean Holder. Holder has spent his entire life searching for the little girl he let walk away, haunted by guilt and searching for peace. When they finally reconnect, he finds himself overwhelmed with even greater remorse. Losing Hope reveals what was going on inside Holder's head during the hopeless moments and explores how he can gain the peace he desperately needs by digging deep into his past and making amends.
- Follow-up to the bestselling novel “Hopeless”
- Tells the story of Dean Holder
- Holder has spent his entire life searching for the little girl he let walk away
- Reveals what was going on inside Holder's head during the hopeless moments
- Explores how he can gain the peace he desperately needs by digging deep into his past and making amends.
Finding Cinderella (2014) novella
Colleen Hoover's Finding Cinderella follows Daniel and a chance encounter with a girl in the dark who he professes his love for, but they agree it will only last one hour and be make-believe. A year later, he meets Six, a girl with a strange name and personality, and finds himself falling in love again. However, finding true love doesn't guarantee a happily ever after as an unbearable secret from the past threatens to jeopardize their only chance at saving each other.
- Follows Daniel and a chance encounter with a girl in the dark
- They agree their love will only last one hour and be make-believe
- A year later, he meets Six and falls in love again
- Finding true love doesn't guarantee a happily ever after
- An unbearable secret from the past threatens to jeopardize their only chance at saving each other.
Finding Perfect (2019)
Finding Perfect is a nine chapter novella told from the point of view of Daniel from Finding Cinderella. It provides readers with some closure for the characters from the Hopeless series.
- Novella that revisits beloved characters from Colleen Hoover's books
- Told from the point of view of Daniel from Finding Cinderella
- Provides readers with the conclusion they've been hoping for
The “It Ends with Us” Series
It Ends with Us (2016)
The book tells the story of Lily, a hardworking woman who has overcome many obstacles to build the life she wants. When she meets Ryle, a handsome neurosurgeon who seems too good to be true, she falls for him hard. But Ryle's aversion to relationships is a cause for concern, and Lily can't help but think of her first love, Atlas, who suddenly reappears in her life and threatens everything she has built with Ryle.
As Lily's questions about her relationship with Ryle grow, she is forced to confront her past and the people she thought she had left behind. The book explores the idea that sometimes the people who love us the most can hurt us the most.
It Starts with Us (2022)
The book revolves around Lily and Atlas's story, picking up right where the previous book's epilogue left off. In this book, the author delves deeper into Atlas's past and shares what happens next in their story. The book features the perspectives of both Lily and Atlas, revealing how Lily navigates her second chance at love with Atlas while dealing with her jealous ex-husband, Ryle, who is still a part of her life.
- It Starts with Us is the sequel to the bestselling book, It Ends with Us, by Colleen Hoover.
- The book continues the story of Lily and Atlas and is narrated from both their perspectives.
- The author explores Atlas's past and shares what comes next in their story.
- The book follows Lily as she embraces a second chance at love with Atlas while dealing with her jealous ex-husband, Ryle, who is still a part of her life.Read Now
The Maybe Series
Maybe Someday (2014)
Maybe Someday tells the story of Sydney, who is left heartbroken when she discovers her boyfriend's infidelity. She becomes drawn to her mysterious neighbor, Ridge, and they soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one. The novel features original music created for it by musician Griffin Peterson.
- Tells the story of Sydney, who is left heartbroken after discovering her boyfriend's infidelity, and Ridge, Sydney's mysterious neighbor, who she becomes drawn to
- Original music created for the novel by musician Griffin Peterson, which can be accessed via links in the book and paperback
Maybe Not (2014)
Colleen Hoover's novella “Maybe Not” tells the story of Warren, who agrees to live with a female roommate, Bridgette, despite her being cold and calculating. Tensions rise between the two, but Warren believes that anyone who can hate with such passion can also love with that same passion. He sets out to test this theory and win Bridgette's heart. Will Bridgette learn to love Warren or not? Find out in this hilarious and heartwarming novella.
- Warren agrees to live with a female roommate, Bridgette.
- Bridgette is cold and calculating, making it difficult for them to live together.
- Warren believes that anyone who can hate with passion can love with the same intensity.
- He decides to test this theory by trying to win Bridgette's heart.
Maybe Now (2018)
In Maybe Now, Ridge and Sydney's relationship continues to flourish as they explore their newfound freedom. Meanwhile, Warren and Bridgette's relationship is tumultuous, and Maggie battles with her illness. Maggie decides to pursue her lifelong dreams and keeps Ridge updated on her adventures. As Sydney becomes more jealous of their friendship, she must come to terms with Maggie's permanent place in their lives or risk losing Ridge forever. The finale is emotional and satisfying, complete with new songs by Griffin Peterson.
- Ridge and Sydney are finally together without guilt, but face challenges in their freedom
- Maggie, who is grappling with illness, decides to live life to the fullest and fulfill her bucket list
- Maggie keeps Ridge updated on her adventures, making Sydney jealous and suspicious of their friendship
- Sydney must reconcile her jealousy with the fact that Maggie will always be in their lives, or risk losing Ridge
- Featuring new songs by Griffin Peterson
- The finale is emotive and satisfying, proving that maybe someday might be right now.
The Never Never Series
Never Never (2015)
Never Never, Part Two (2015)
Never Never, Part Three (2016)
The Never Never series is a unique collaboration between Colleen Hoover and fellow bestselling author Tarryn Fisher. This thrilling and mysterious novella series tells the story of best friends Silas Nash and Charlize Wynwood, who wake up one day to find their memories of each other and their past completely erased. As they work together to uncover the cause of their sudden memory loss, they realize that they share a complicated history and an undeniable connection.
Comprising three novellas, the Never Never series takes readers on a suspenseful journey filled with twists and turns. The story unfolds as Silas and Charlie navigate their complex emotions while trying to piece together their pasts. This captivating series showcases the combined talents of Hoover and Fisher, blending their distinct writing styles to create a gripping narrative that keeps readers hooked until the very end.
Standalone Novels and Novellas
Ugly Love (2014)
The book tells the story of Tate Collins and Miles Archer, who meet and realize they have an undeniable mutual attraction, but neither wants a relationship. They decide to enter into a no-strings-attached arrangement for sex, with two rules: never ask about the past and don't expect a future. However, things quickly become complicated as they find it impossible to stick to the rules. Their hearts become involved, promises are broken, and rules are shattered, and they realize that love can get ugly.
- Tate and Miles have an undeniable mutual attraction but don't want a relationship.
- They enter into a no-strings-attached arrangement for sex with two rules: no questions about the past and no expectations for the future.
- They quickly realize they can't stick to the rules as their hearts become involved.
In Colleen Hoover's novel “Confess,” Auburn Reed is looking for a fresh start after a tragedy, and lands a job in a Dallas art studio. There, she meets the charismatic artist Owen Gentry, and against her better judgment, falls for him. But Owen has a dark secret that could destroy everything Auburn holds dear, leaving her to choose between the love she feels and the safety of her life.
- Auburn Reed is trying to rebuild her life and has no room for mistakes.
- She becomes attracted to Owen Gentry, an artist she meets at an art studio.
- Auburn takes a chance and puts her heart in control.
- Owen is hiding a huge secret that threatens to destroy everything Auburn loves.
- Auburn must decide whether to cut Owen out of her life or face the consequences.
November 9 (2015)
November 9 tells the story of Fallon and Ben, who meet the day before Fallon's cross-country move and spend her last day in LA together. Over time, they continue to meet on the same date every year, despite the various relationships and challenges in their separate lives. However, Fallon becomes unsure if Ben has been truthful or fabricated their relationship for the sake of his novel's plot twist. The book explores the question of whether a love story can be considered as such if it ends in heartbreak. The book is an unforgettable love story between a writer and his unexpected muse, written by the beloved #1 New York Times bestselling author Colleen Hoover.
- Fallon and Ben meet the day before Fallon's cross-country move and spend a memorable day together.
- They continue to meet on the same date every year despite the challenges in their separate lives.
- Fallon becomes unsure if Ben has been truthful or fabricated their relationship for the sake of his novel's plot twist.
- The book explores the question of whether a love story can still be considered as such if it ends in heartbreak.
- The book is an unforgettable love story between a writer and his unexpected muse, written by the beloved #1 New York Times bestselling author Colleen Hoover.
Too Late (2016)
The book is about Sloan, who is stuck in a dangerous relationship with Asa Jackson, a morally corrupt man. Despite Sloan's disapproval of Asa's lifestyle, he does whatever it takes to stay ahead in his business and in his relationship with Sloan. However, when Carter comes into Sloan's life, Asa's control over her begins to slip. This book contains graphic content and is recommended for mature audiences only.
- Sloan is in a dangerous relationship with morally corrupt Asa Jackson.
- Sloan will do whatever it takes to get by until she can find a way out of the relationship.
- Asa believes he is the best thing to ever happen to Sloan despite her disapproval of his sinister lifestyle.
- Asa will do anything to stay ahead in his business and of Sloan, except for one thing: Carter.
- The book contains graphic content including scenes of rape, murder, and other violence, recommended for mature audiences 18+.
Without Merit (2017)
In Colleen Hoover's novel “Without Merit,” Merit Voss is a part of a dysfunctional family that lives in a repurposed church. Merit collects trophies she hasn't earned and keeps secrets that her family forces her to keep. After meeting Sagan, she discovers a secret that she can't ignore, leading her to shatter her family's illusion of happiness. Merit must then deal with the consequences of telling the truth and losing the boy she loves. This novel explores the themes of family, forgiveness, and the importance of honesty.
- The Voss family is far from normal, living in a repurposed church with various issues
- Merit Voss collects trophies she hasn't earned and hides family secrets
- She meets Sagan and his idealism sparks something in her until she realizes he's unavailable
- After learning a devastating secret, Merit decides to shatter her family's illusion of happiness and leave them behind
- Her plan fails, and she must face the consequences of telling the truth and losing the boy she loves.
All Your Perfects (2018)
In Colleen Hoover's novel “All Your Perfects”, Quinn and Graham's once perfect love is threatened by their imperfect marriage. The novel delves into the memories, mistakes, and secrets that have built up over the years and are tearing them apart. The story centers around the one old forgotten promise that could save their relationship, yet might also push it beyond repair. This profound and heartbreaking page-turner raises the question: Can a resounding love with a perfect beginning survive a lifetime between two imperfect people?
- Novel about a damaged couple
- Potential future hinges on promises made in the past
- Asks whether a perfect love can survive between two imperfect people
Verity is a departure from Hoover's typical romance novels, delving into the psychological thriller genre. The story follows Lowen Ashleigh, a struggling writer, who is hired to complete the remaining books in a series by the bedridden, bestselling author Verity Crawford.
When Lowen arrives at the Crawford home, she discovers an unfinished autobiography that Verity never intended for anyone to read. The manuscript contains bone-chilling admissions, including Verity's recollection of what really happened the day her daughter died. Lowen decides to keep the manuscript hidden from Jeremy to spare him from the devastating truth.
However, as Lowen's feelings for Jeremy grow stronger, she begins to see the benefits of sharing Verity's words with him. But revealing the horrifying truth would make it impossible for Jeremy to continue loving his injured wife. The book explores the moral dilemma Lowen faces as she struggles to decide what to do with Verity's manuscript.
Regretting You (2019)
Morgan Grant and her teenage daughter, Clara, are vastly different, struggling to find common ground. As Morgan tries to protect Clara from making the same mistakes she did, their warring personalities and conflicting goals make it difficult for them to coexist. The family's stability is shattered when Chris, the family anchor, is involved in a tragic accident. As Morgan and Clara attempt to rebuild their lives, they find solace in unexpected places, while new secrets and misunderstandings drive them further apart, jeopardizing their chances of ever reconnecting.
- Mother-daughter conflict: Morgan and Clara struggle with their differences and clashing goals.
- Tragic accident: Chris's accident disrupts the family's stability and has long-lasting consequences.
- Unlikely comfort: Morgan and Clara find solace in unexpected relationships.
- Growing divide: Secrets, resentment, and misunderstandings drive the mother and daughter further apart.
- Reconnection challenge: The widening gap between Morgan and Clara may make it impossible for them to reconnect.
Heart Bones (2020)
In Heart Bones, Beyah Grim has fought hard to make a future for herself, but when an unexpected death leaves her with nowhere to go, she must spend the summer with a father she hardly knows. Determined to keep to herself and focus on her goals, Beyah finds herself drawn to her wealthy neighbor, Samson. Though they come from different worlds, the two connect over their shared attraction to sad things. Agreeing to a summer fling, Beyah doesn't anticipate the intensity of their connection, or the heartbreak that's to come.
- Beyah Grim's parents gave her only her name and a bleak future
- With just two months to go until she can escape her past, an unexpected death leaves Beyah with nowhere to go but her estranged father's home in Texas
- Beyah plans to keep to herself, but her neighbor Samson catches her attention
- Despite their different backgrounds, they are drawn to each other and agree to a summer fling
- Beyah soon realizes she's in too deep and her heart is at risk of being swept away
In Colleen Hoover's novel, Layla, Leeds and Layla are in love and planning to spend their lives together until a traumatic event changes everything. Layla is left fighting for her life, and although she physically recovers, the emotional scars run deep. In an effort to reconnect, Leeds takes Layla back to the bed-and-breakfast where they first met, but Layla's behavior becomes increasingly erratic. Meanwhile, Leeds finds himself drawn to another guest, Willow, who shares his concerns. As his feelings for Willow grow, Leeds must decide whether to pursue her or stay loyal to Layla, knowing that the wrong decision could have devastating consequences for all involved.
With its exploration of the enduring power of love and the impact of trauma on relationships, “Layla” promises to be a gripping read for fans of Colleen Hoover's work. As the characters navigate their complex emotions and competing desires, readers are sure to be swept up in a story that is both heart-wrenching and hopeful.
- Leeds meets Layla and they fall in love, but an unexpected attack leaves Layla emotionally scarred.
- Leeds takes Layla to the B&B where they first met to try to fix their relationship, but Layla's behavior becomes bizarre.
- Leeds finds solace in another guest, Willow, and tries to help her find answers, but it puts him in conflict with Layla's well-being.
- Leeds must make a choice that could have detrimental consequences for all of them.
Reminders of Him (2022)
The book follows Kenna Rowan, a troubled young mother who has just been released from prison after serving five years for a tragic mistake. She returns to her hometown, hoping to reunite with her four-year-old daughter, but the people in her daughter's life are determined to shut her out. The only person who hasn't closed the door on her is Ledger Ward, a local bar owner and one of the few remaining links to her daughter. As they grow closer, Kenna must find a way to absolve the mistakes of her past to build a future of hope and healing. The book explores themes of redemption, forgiveness, and the power of human connection.
- Kenna Rowan is a troubled young mother who has just been released after five years in prison.
- She returns to her hometown to reunite with her daughter, but everyone in her daughter's life is determined to shut her out.
- Ledger Ward, a local bar owner, is one of the few people who hasn't closed the door on Kenna.
- As they grow closer, Kenna must find a way to absolve the mistakes of her past and build a future of hope and healing.
- The book explores themes of redemption, forgiveness, and the power of human connection.
Colleen Hoover's impressive bibliography showcases her ability to create captivating stories that resonate with readers. Her novels, filled with complex characters and powerful emotions, have earned her a loyal fan base and critical acclaim. With a diverse range of genres and themes, there is a Colleen Hoover book for every reader, ensuring her place as a beloved author in the literary world.